Friday, March 23, 2012

Potatoes. Part 5. Potato wedges.

A casual potato snack for casual Friday!  (Hah! As if I would celebrate/participate in "casual Friday.").  These are super-easy to make and so great as a late night snack.  I always make these when I get a post 10pm french fry craving (which is to say, I make these pretty often).  This is so easy I don't even have pictures of the process because I never considered putting it up here.  But it does round out our week of potatoes 5 ways, so here goes.

This is my own recipe based on lots of others and a bit of trial and error.  It's a good serving size for an after-dinner snack for our family of 3-4 adults (depending on who's home).

INGREDIENTS
3 large-ish potatoes cut into 8ths lengthwise
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1 tbs olive oil

METHOD
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (since I usually make a small batch I nearly always use the toaster oven for this - heats up quicker!)
Slice the potato into wedges and press with paper towel to get out a bit of excess water
Toss all ingredients together in a bowl ("What's a ... bowwwl?")
Bake for 35-40 minutes (or until done)

Here they are coming out of my old apartment oven.
These are small red potatoes

Another view (I wanted potato wedges and guac).

They're great with ANY dipping sauce, ketchup, honey mustard, mayo, sriracha, etc.  Oh, but NOT Miracle Whip.  That stuff is NOT a totally equal substitute for mayo - no, no, not in all situations.  In egg salad and shrimp salad maybe, but not as a standalone condiment.

P.S. Because I know this last post is a bit of a cop-out, I'll be back with the a-long-time-ago promised Strawberry Cookie recipe a bit later =)

No comments: