Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Moms (one of my worse/non-apt titles)


I recently watched an episode of 30 Rock (The Moms) where Jack Donaghy's mom (Colleen) finds out that he is seeing two women.  The following is a few lines from when Colleen confronts Jack (at 7:25).

Colleen: Be a man and pick one!
Jack: I can't!  They both give me different things; one connects me to the man I was, the other inspires...
Colleen: Just listen to yourself, Jack!
Jack: I know it's gay but it's my gay problem and I'm handling it!

I had to include the last two lines just because they're so awesome.  But Jack's first outburst is the one that got me thinking: What happens when you have to make that choice?  Not just in significant others, but to a variety of choices in life.  Where to live?  What job to take?  What to study?  Who to be friends with?  What hobbies to pursue?

If someone or something connects you to your past and who you were/are and another someone or something inspires you to be different or better in the present/future, and you have to choose, how are you supposed to go about making that decision?


(And I know I keep claiming/promising to start writing more regularly/frequently ... but maybe this time I really will ... ?)

No comments: