Thursday, March 22, 2012

I get excited about kids killing kids!!!

(Okay, so the title of this post is clearly not true.  But after writing the post, I realized some/all of my favorite books are really about kids killing kids (Ender's Game, The Hunger Games, the Harry Potter books). But you can't blame me for these books being so epic!)

SALKSFS EXCITEDMENT 

That was actually the first draft of this post.  I thought I'd let some of you enjoy or at least try to imagine how excited I was when I sat down to write this.

Anyway, The Hunger Games premieres this weekend and actually I'm sure there will be throngs of people at the midnight showings tonight.  But after my midnight premiere experience of the last Harry Potter movie, I think I'll sit that one out and let the young'ns have their fun.

Despite the less-than-enthusiastic NYTimes review, which actually confirms a lot of my own concerns after seeing the preview (that Jennifer Lawrence wasn't skinny enough for the character - she's supposed to be close to starvation, that Haymitch was too "pretty/clean," that the movie would be "cleaned up/made too PG" compared to the content of the book, etc.) I'm pretty excited to see a film version.

And despite everything else they didn't keep "true to form" (albeit based on my own reading and imagination), how PERFECT/SPOT-ON was the casting of Josh Hutcherson as Peeta the baker's son?  Seriously, A+++ for that one, Debra Zane.


AND OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG, so this is kindof completely unrelated but as I was reading that article I linked to (about Debra Zane) I clicked on some of the actor/actress names because I didn't know who they were, like Hailee Steinfeld.  And even though it doesn't look like she ended up in The Hunger Games SHE'S SLOTTED AS PETRA ARKANIAN FROM ENDER'S GAME!!! OMG OMGOMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!  One of my actual favorite books of ALL TIME!!!  It's GONNA BE A MOVIE!!! AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!! : AAF#R#RIFSD:KGJNB:SDLF:RGUIO:RGBVF:GR:GR:HOGWER~~~~~~~~~@@@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My life is awesome.  They better get it right.  (I approve of their casting much more than I do the casting of The Hunger Games' characters based on IMDB.com - although I never pictured Major Anderson as a woman, I guess they never used pronouns for him/her).  (AAAAAAAAAND I just finished reading Ender's Shadow, the Bean parallax to Ender's Game, had to keep myself from sobbing on the bus for that one).

2 comments:

Esther said...

lol were you drunk when you wrote this

Christine said...

Wtheck. No. I was just that excited. Haha.