Monday, June 2, 2008

English Translations

So, my school has been CHOSEN to serve as Exhibit A of how teaching English to 1st and 2nd graders looks.

TRANSLATION: MY SCHOOL IS PLAYING HOST TO A BEVY OF TEACHERS FROM ALL OVER MY PROVINCE ON JUNE 17th AND I HAVE TO DO ALL OF THE ENGLISH PREPARATION FOR IT.

Okay. So TECHNICALLY the 1st and 2nd grade teachers are supposed to do all of the English preparation which means that I am the one de facto doing all the work. ALL 11 (READ: ELEVEN) teachers have to prepare lesson plans in ENGLISH and so last week all I did all week was revise and edit English lesson plans. ELEVEN DIFFERENT LESSON PLANS. 

And the teachers were actually thinking of me and tried to all teach the same lesson that day so I would have less DIFFERENT things to oversee, but the principal decided that what is the point of ALL doing the same lesson (EXCEPT HMM MAKING SENSE?!?!?). And he decided each teacher is taking a different chapter from the textbook to teach. THIS MAKES NO SENSE SEEING HOW LEADING INTO THAT DAY OF OPEN/DEMONSTRATION CLASSES I AM ONLY ONE PERSON SEEING/TEACHING EACH CLASS ONLY ONCE A WEEK.

Anyway, lesson plans are short and mostly the same. Plus the teachers reused all the English from my lesson plans so there's not much to correct. ON THE OTHER HAND, each chapter has this "introduction section" in the teacher's manual that must be attached to the lesson plan. And THIS section is a HOT HOT mess. The teachers translated this when they made the textbook last year. And it's now my responsibility to "correct" this section (FOR PEOPLE WHO CAN'T TELL THAT IT'S INCORRECT AS IS). How I am supposed to correct something when I'm not sure of it's original intent/meaning is beyond me. 

So, I just make it up as I go. I kindof guess what Koreans would've said. And try to approximate it in English. And sometimes the grammar is wrong or awkward, but I don't care. I can't do any more of these. And I think I still have 6 more. I've already done 5. Blech.

An example I think would be most illuminating.

The original English in 1st grade textbook:
Lesson 4. Run, Candy
Goals of this unit: Child feels an intimate feeling in the animals. Specially, from the family it raises it holds with the member of the family and it has the love which is special in the cat. Playing which with consequently like this animals is familiar to side overlook only mind young this each person the bay it knows, There is a possibility becoming the help in emotional growth. In the process Lesson 4, student can learn how to order and response through play a game.

Google image search result for "ARE YOU KIDDING ME":

HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO "CORRECT" THIS ENGLISH? I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT'S SUPPOSED TO MEAN... They ask me to correct this, and I'm like, "Um, ok yea sure..."

Christine-ified version: 
Goals of this unit: From a young age, children display an interest in animals. A special example of loved animals is pets, who are raised in the family and are treated with a special love. Playing with animals and learning to take care of them and treat them well can help children achieve emotional growth. In Lesson 4, students will learn how to give simple commands by role-playing with pets.

1 comment:

grayshifter said...

Oh, dear god.

High five. That is an awesome "translation."