Thursday, December 29, 2011

Under the weather.

But going to work anyway. A little late but still gotta go. It never ceases to amaze me how hard life is when I'm sick. And I mean in a very practical sense of "hard."

The very act of walking to the kitchen for a glass of water is nigh impossible. I get there and I'm out of breath and dizzy. Every single thing I have to do seems monumental.

Getting out of bed is never easy to begin with and when I'm sick it's seriously such a chore. Getting dressed takes my breath away. Washing up takes forever because I need to take breaks every minute to catch my breath and orient myself.

Admittedly I woke up a little late (NyQuil induced sleep hits me hard) but it also took an inordinate amount of time to get ready. And I did the bare minimum. No makeup or special hair today. And I also just realized I'm not wearing any jewelry either. Really dropped the ball today.

I hope I make it til 5. It's hard to concentrate and do any work when I feel like this but it's really the commute that takes its toll. Being in those enclosed spaces with a bunch of other germ-harboring folks and all the stimuli! All those smells and noises and the pushing and keeping my balance in the subway. It's like sensory overload on an already wired to the brink system.

I just want to crawl back into be and sleep all day. Alas, this is less acceptable for grownups than children for some reason. I'm a huge advocate of ppl staying home when they are less than 100%. Why risk a longer period of semi-invalid status when a few days of nothing but absolute rest will do more to restore your system?

One last thought, if I weren't begging off for a week in the middle of January, I'd totally have stayed home today, too. :/

P.s. I'm scheduling this for later in the day. So don't worry- I'm not actually going in at noon.

No comments: