Friday, November 25, 2011

Food on Friday 6. Buttermilk Pancakes.

I'm not sure how this happened - but I was with Girlfriend 1 when I decided to call up Girlfriend 2 and told her we were coming over.  Not only were we coming over but we expected breakfast, please, feed us!

For some reason (probably, my friends are super-super-awesome), Girlfriend 2 actually complied despite her ridiculous hangover.

We went over and were greeted with beautiful fluffy buttermilk pancakes.

 
Naturally I asked for the recipe.  I believe it's this recipe from Allrecipes.com but I make a few tweaks.
 
I only use 1 tablespoon of vinegar and add enough milk to fill 1 cup of liquid (milk).  I also don't whisk out all the lumps - I barely combine the wet and dry ingredients.  The lumps are ok and work themselves out on the frying pan as they cook.  If you combine too much - you risk making your finished product too tough and chewy rather than light and fluffy.  I also cook over very low heat on nonstick-coated pan w/no cooking oil.
 
I made these a few weeks ago for a weekend brunch and they were uber-delicious and oh-so-fluffy!



And you can add whatever you want to mix it up!

Here's an example of when I wanted to use up some pineapple and blueberries we had.  I just drop in the fruit on top of the 1/4 cupful of batter in the frying pan.



No comments: